One of the best parts of being a parent at Christmas is going to children’s holiday programs at church and school. All of the children just look so cute in their little dresses and sweaters as they sing Christmas carols with big smiles. It’s enough to make you forget all of your troubles…and then you remember that you have to wash that cute Christmas dress. You thought the velvet and faux fur trim were just so precious when you bought it. Now you’re pretty sure it’s about to become your worst laundry headache. Yes, velvet and faux fur can be a pain to wash, but Roux Maison is here to make it easier on you.
Velvet is a notoriously tricky fabric. Washing it the wrong way can ruin its soft texture and make it feel more like sand paper. No one wants that. The most important tool you will need when washing velvet items is Roux Maison Delicate Detergent. While all of our detergents are gentle on your clothes, our Delicate Detergent truly is the best choice for those items that are particularly fragile. So grab your Delicate Detergent and follow these easy steps to keep your little girl’s velvet dresses looking their best.
- Fill a tub or sink with lukewarm water and add one capful of Roux Maison Delicate Detergent
- Immerse the dress in the water, gently swishing with your hands to ensure the entire dress gets cleaned
- Leave it to soak for at least 15 minutes up to 45 minutes or so
- Rinse thoroughly with cool water, making sure there are no more suds
- Lay the dress flat on a towel that will not shed onto the dress
- Brush the fibers of the fabric all in the same direction
- Hang or lay flat to dry
Now that was a lot easier than you were expecting, wasn’t it? With just a little extra care, you can keep those velvet dresses looking as good as they did the day you bought them.
When crafted correctly, faux fur has the unique power to make almost anything more stylish and cozy. That’s why all of the winter dresses for little girls have faux fur-trimmed cuffs and hems. But no matter how adorable the furry addition makes that dress, we can all agree that faux fur can be quite a pain to wash. But it doesn’t have to be if you know the best way to do it! You may not believe it, but your secret weapon for cleaning faux fur is going to be none other than cornmeal. Yes, you read that right. Just follow these steps and it will all make sense.
- Pour one cup of cornmeal into a paper bag
- Place the cuffs or trim of the dress in the bag and clutch the top of the bag closed
- Take cuffs/trim out of bag and allow to sit for a few hours
- Wipe away cornmeal with a dry cloth
- Brush with a slicker brush (pet brush with wide-set bristles)
Are you amazed yet? You’re probably wondering how the faux fur on those dresses looks so shiny and clean without using any detergent or water. That’s the beauty of cornmeal! It sticks to dirt and grime, but it doesn’t stick to the fibers that make up the faux fur.
Holiday dresses don’t have to turn you into a laundry Scrooge this Christmas. Their fabrics may be tricky, but washing them is a snap with Roux Maison!
Photo Credit: UNC